For decades, Detroit’s oldest theater district thrived on Monroe Street, tucked between what is now Greektown and Campus Martius Park. The two-block strip was once dotted with century-old theatres built between 1852 and 1911, and anchored by today’s last surviving structure, the National Theatre.
Custom designed by prolific and world-renowned Detroit architect Albert Kahn, the National Theatre first opened in 1911, where it operated as a vaudeville house, played early iterations of motion pictures and hosted burlesque shows for the next 80 years.
Bedrock will honor the Theatre’s historic legacy with plans to reimagine its façade as the gateway to a modern, world-class entertainment venue. This venue will anchor the Development at Cadillac Square and provide ample opportunities for break out performances for years to come.